The UFC’s first visit to Sydney in almost six years is official after Friday morning’s weigh-ins at the Qudus Bank Arena.
The two men in the featured fight, middleweight champion Israel Adesanya and top contender Sean Strickland, both made championship weight, even if Strickland required the use of the towel to hit the 185-pound championship weight. Elsewhere, home country favourite Tai Tuivasa took almost every ounce of the heavyweight limit, weighing in at 265.5 pounds for his clash with Russia’s Alexander Volkov who tipped the scales just under 263-pounds.
The rest of the competitors hit their weights without incident except for Shane Young who came in at almost 150-pounds for a featherweight fight against Gabriel Miranda — almost 4-pounds over the non-title division limit. The bout is expected to proceed at catchweight, with Young forfeiting 30% of his purse.
Finally, Dublin’s own Kiefer Crosbie successfully hit the welterweight limit for his UFC debut fight against French fighter (and City Kickboxing veteran) Kevin Jousset.
The full UFC 293 weigh-in results are:
- (C) Israel Adesanya (184.8) vs. Sean Strickland (184.9)
- Tai Tuivasa (265.6) vs. Alexander Volkov (262.95)
- Felipe dos Santos (125.4) vs. Manel Kape (126)
- Austen Lane (242.3) vs. Justin Tafa (265.2)
- Tyson Pedro (205.45) vs. Anton Turkalj (205.35)
- Da Woon Jung (205.3) vs. Carlos Ulberg (204.7)
- Jack Jenkins (145.85) vs. Chepe Mariscal (145.85)
- John Makdessi (155.1) vs. Jamie Mullarkey (155.35)
- Nasrat Haqparast (155.85) vs. Landon Quinones (155.75)
- Blood Diamond (170.25) vs. Charlie Radtke (170.3
- Gabriel Miranda (144.95) vs. Shane Young (149.75) — Young missed weight
- Kiefer Crosbie (170.85) vs. Kevin Jousset (170.5)