Lyoto Machida’s return to the Octagon is official as he successfully made weight for his UFC Fight Night 119 main event opposite Derek Brunson in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Machida, a former UFC light heavyweight champion, now plies his trade at middleweight and he tipped the scales at an even 185-pounds on Friday. His opponent Brunson also registered a weight of 185-pounds.
This will be Machida’s first bout since a loss to Yoel Romero in June 2015. The Brazilian was slated to face Dan Henderson in April of last year but the bout was pulled at the eleventh hour after Machida admitted to taking a banned substance in the lead-in to the bout, though he maintains he was unaware of its illegality at the time he took it.
Elsewhere, both fighters in the co-main event — Demian Maia and Colby Covington — were both successful in making the welterweight limit. In fact, none of the fighters across the 12-fight card missed weight, which is something of a rarity nowadays.
The full UFC Fight Night 119 weigh-in results are:
- Lyoto Machida (185) vs. Derek Brunson (185)
- Colby Covington (171) vs. Demian Maia (171)
- Rob Font (136) vs. Pedro Munhoz (136)
- Jim Miller (155) vs. Francisco Trinaldo (155)
- Jack Hermansson (185) vs. Thiago “Marreta” Santos (186)
- John Lineker (136) vs. Marlon Vera (135)
- Vicente Luque (171) vs. Niko Price (171)
- Antonio Carlos Junior (185) vs. Jack Marshman (186)
- Hacran Dias (155) vs. Jared Gordon (156)
- Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos (171) vs. Max Griffin (171)
- Jarred Brooks (125) vs. Deiveson Figueiredo (126)
- Christian Colombo (258) vs. Marcelo Golm (242)