It wouldn’t be a UFC weigh in without a little drama and that’s exactly what we got this morning at the UFC 220 early weigh-ins ahead of tomorrow night’s event inside the TD Garden.
Daniel Cormier was the final fighter to the scales this morning, registering the championship weight of 205-pounds for his light heavyweight title defense against Volkan Oezdemir in tomorrow’s co-main event. Cormier, who makes no bones of the fact that the cut to 205 is a difficult one for him, had just over 20 minutes remaining to make weight — however rules in Massachusetts, fighters are afforded a one hour concession provided that they step on the scales initially within the two hour time allotment.
Cormier opponent, Volkan Oezdemir, also made weight successfully at 205-pounds even.
The much anticipated heavyweight main event between champion Stipe Miocic and ferocious challenger Francis Ngannou is also official. Ngannou will have a noticeable size advantage compared to the champ, after he tipped the scale at a mammoth 263-pounds. Miocic, meanwhile, weighed in at 246-pounds.
Elsewhere throughout the card, in something of a rarity no fighter missed weight in the 11 fight card.
The full weigh-in results are below:
- (c) Stipe Miocic (246) vs. Francis Ngannou (263)
- (c) Daniel Cormier (205) vs. Volkan Oezdemir (205)
- Shane Burgos (146) vs. Calvin Kattar (145.5)
- Francimar Barroso (205) vs. Gian Villante (206)
- Thomas Almeida (135.5) vs. Rob Font (136)
- Kyle Bochniak (146) vs. Brandon Davis (146)
- Abdul Razak Alhassan (170) vs. Sabah Homasi (171)
- Dustin Ortiz (125.5) vs. Alexandre Pantoja (126)
- Julio Arce (146) vs. Dan Ige (145.5)
- Enrique Barzola (145.5) vs. Matt Bessette (146)
- Islam Makhachev (156) vs. Gleison Tibau (155)