Nate Diaz has one fight remaining on his UFC deal, but that won’t be coming against Khamzat Chimaev.
There had been intense speculation that the UFC were to attempt to book a fight between the two welterweights, with UFC boss Dana White essentially admitting as much to TheMacLife’s Oscar Willis soon after Chimaev latest win against Li Jingliang several weeks back — but Diaz isn’t playing this game.
Chimaev has now won four straight in the UFC since debuting in the summer of 2020 on ‘Fight Island’ but Diaz, who remains one of the longest tenured fighters on the roster, is looking for someone he feels a bit more deserving. And he certainly didn’t appreciate the offer.
“They’re coming at me with [Khamzat], and I’m like, ‘hold on, don’t disrespect me like that, trying to offer me a fight with a rookie.’ I’m cool, you got 4 fights in the UFC. Don’t even talk my name,” Diaz said to TMZ.
Diaz’s next move remains uncertain but the Stockton man says that he’s looking for someone a bit more meaningful towards the business end of the welterweight rankings.
“Anybody from the top 10, I’ve been trying to fight, in any weight division, but they all wanna keep their mouth shut cause they’re all scared,” he added.
1 billion per cent! A must! https://t.co/h2kpk1Y9EZ
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) November 27, 2021
Conor McGregor, meanwhile, recently indicated that he sees himself tangling with Diaz for a third time before all is said and done, even going so far as to describe the trilogy fight a “must” in his recent and wide-ranging Twitter Q&A, and saying that the fight will ‘1 billion per cent’ take place.