Earlier today, the Miami Herald published a story that stated Nate Diaz had been “hospitalized after he attacked Miami cops at a police station.”
Almost immediately, Diaz’ representative, Zach Rosenfield, went public to say the story was completely false, and was the work of shoddy journalism. The Herald stated they’d received their information from a police source.
Speaking to MMAJunkie, Rosenfield denied the story vehemently, saying Diaz was on the other side of the country when the incident happened, and has never been linked to any of the other accusations in the story.
“The story is 100 percent and inequitably inaccurate,” Rosenfield said. “Nate has been in Stockton since the Tuesday after the Super Bowl (held Feb. 2 in Miami Gardens), and there is no possible way that what is being reported is relatable to him.
“At no point did Nate have any interactions with Miami law enforcement. Zero issues whatsoever, and he’s never been attached to anything close to domestic violence in his life.”
After the above statement, the Herald issued a correction to social media, and in their updated story named the arrested MMA fighter as a Michael Albert Nates instead.
NOTE: In an initial version of this story, the Miami Herald incorrectly reported that mixed martial arts superstar Nate Diaz had been arrested in a domestic-violence case. The Herald apologizes for the error.
— Miami Herald (@MiamiHerald) February 12, 2020
Correction or not, Rosenfield told MMAJunkie that he and his client would still be looking into legal proceedings.
“This whole thing is utterly irresponsible, and we are exploring legal action,” Rosenfield said.