With the recent exodus that has seen the likes of Ryan Bader, Lorenz Larkin, Rory MacDonald and, most recently, Gegard Mousasi trade the UFC for Bellator it had been expected that Joe Duffy might well be the next to switch allegiances.
Duffy fought out his UFC contract last March with a unanimous decision victory against Reza Madadi and had been engaged in negotiations as to his future ever since. Bellator president Scott Coker had casually registered his interest in Duffy, though remained cautious as to his public statements on the matter in order to not violate the exclusive negotiation period that the UFC had with Duffy as per the terms of their initial agreement.
It was reported today by Ariel Helwani and confirmed by Peter Carroll, both of MMAFighting, that the uncertainty as to Duffy’s next destination is over as the Donegal man has signed a new 7-fight deal with the UFC.
— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) July 13, 2017
Duffy is 4-1 in his run in the UFC lightweight division, including three first rounds wins as well as his decision victory over Madadi earlier this year. Duffy’s sole loss was a decision defeat to top lightweight contender Dustin Poirier.
Speaking to MMAFighting, Duffy’s manager Graham Boylan said his fighter is pleased with the terms of the new deal.
“(Duffy) is happy with the new deal and is looking forward to getting back in and being more active,” Boylan said.