If there were suggestions that the UFC middleweight division was facing something of a hold up, then those were practically confirmed today.
Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre have been set to face each other for months now, although nothing has been scheduled. At first it was rumoured the UFC were attempting to have the two headline UFC 213 on July 9, on international fight week — a traditionally big event for the company.
But as time has gone on, it seems the fight is further away from happening, not closer. And today, St-Pierre himself has confirmed that a Summer time is not happening. Instead, look closer to the end of the year.
— Georges St-Pierre (@GeorgesStPierre) May 5, 2017
“Mr. Bisping, I’ve cleared my entire schedule to get ready for training camp after this Summer,” St-Pierre says in the post. “So I can fight you anytime after October — you pick the date. Let’s get it on.”
Bisping has previously said that should St-Pierre continue to take his time organising a date for the fight, then the Brit would look to other contenders in the 185-pound division. Of course, should he do that, he would likely risk the biggest pay day of his career.
With Anderson Silva, Yoel Romero, Luke Rockhold and others all bemoaning the state of the weight class, St-Pierre’s message is likely to be met with frustration from the UFC brass.