Claressa Shields vs. Savannah Marshall, a fight which was to be arguably the second biggest female boxing fight in history, has been postponed in the wake of the death of Queen Elizabeth.
The two unbeaten stars were due to compete as the headline fight to an all-female fight card in London on Saturday but it was announced on Friday afternoon that the fight is off and that October 15 is being targeted as a replacement date.
“The British Boxing Board of Control have decided that all tournaments this weekend will be postponed as a mark of respect to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth,” the BBBC said in a statement. “We join a nation in mourning and pay tribute to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, honouring her dedication to our country during her long reign and the legacy she leaves behind.”
Ben Shalom, CEO of BOXXER, said in a statement of his own: “This is an unprecedented moment in our history and our sincere thoughts are primarily with the Royal Family and the nation at this time. Out of respect, the British Boxing Board of Control has decided to postpone Saturday’s show. A provisional date for Saturday, October 15 at The O2 is being worked on by all parties to stage this unique and iconic night of celebration for women’s sport at a more appropriate time.”
The delay follows similar postponements in various sports, including British football, after the Queen passed away on Thursday afternoon at the age of 96, and will insert a delay into what had been a heated rivalry between the two unbeaten fighters.
“I’ve never said I’m going to knock her out, I’ve said I’m going to hurt her. She’s a bully and she’s going to wake up on the canvas. I can’t wait to take all those belts off her and become the undisputed middleweight champion,” the UK’s Marshall said previously.
Marshall has previously defeated Shields during their respective amateur careers and had vowed to do so again in the pro ranks, but will now have to wait around five weeks to make good on her word.