The Georges St-Pierre vs. Michael Bisping fight has been cancelled, and Yoel Romero will instead go ahead as number one contender for the middleweight title.
That’s according to UFC president Dana White, who in a sudden announcement made late Wednesday night revealed to FOX Sports Australia’s “UFC Fight Week” that St-Pierre’s recent decision to wait until past October to return meant the contest was no longer feasible, and the middleweight division would have to move forward. The decision comes just hours after Bisping spoke on UFC Tonight and announced his intention to wait until November for St-Pierre.
“I made this GSP fight, we did a press conference,” White said. “The thing was supposed to happen in July. Michael Bisping is going to have to defend his title now. We’re not waiting for GSP.”
As such, previously confirmed number one contender Yoel Romero is now expected to face Bisping at some point in the Summer for the 185-pound title that the Brit won last year. Romero has been increasingly vocal about his disappointment in St-Pierre’s leapfrogging to the top of the weight class, especially after knocking out former middleweight champion Chris Weidman at UFC 205 in what was explicitly described as a title eliminator.
“[Yoel] doesn’t need to voice his opinion on why he needs a title shot. He definitely deserves a title shot. He’s next in line, he’s the No.1 ranked guy in the world,” White said. “Georges St-Pierre was coming back. Bisping-St Pierre – they both wanted that fight. We asked Yoel to step aside, he did. It doesn’t look like that fight is gonna happen now.
“Georges St-Pierre is saying he will not be ready to compete now until November. Who knows if that’s even the case. It could be next year. So we’re not waiting for Georges St-Pierre anymore. We’re moving on with the division, and Yoel Romero will get the next shot.”